Parents or carers must apply for their child to:
- start primary or infant school (reception year)
- start Year 3 at junior school
- start Year 7 at secondary school
- start Year 10 at Lincoln University Technical College
If your child needs a school place in a different year group or at another point in the year, you need to apply to move school.
You should check if your child is eligible for free or post-16 school transport.
Please read the relevant brochure prior to making your application:
To find out more about a school, use our directory.
SEND school places
Most children and young people with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) will have their needs met at a mainstream school or college.
If your child has an education and health care plan (EHCP), you should contact your caseworker as you cannot apply via the typical admissions process.
If you need to apply for a place at a special school, read about SEND school places.
If your child does not have an EHCP, you can continue to apply online.
How to apply
You can apply for a school place in September online:
- primary school admissions open on 15 November and close 15 January 2022
- re-opens 19 April 2022 and closes 18 May 2022
- secondary school admissions open on 8 September and closes on 31 October 2021
- re-opens 1 March 2022 and closes 25 March 2022
When you apply:
- you can select up to three schools, in order of preference
- you may want to check if your child is eligible for free or post-16 school transport
- you can amend your application at any time before the closing date
- if you are moving house or need to change schools, read about moving school
Service personnel and crown servants
You can apply for a school place in advance of a forces move.
You can apply within the usual deadline for Reception, Year 3 or Year 7. At any other time, you can apply six weeks in advance.
You must send us proof of your posting when making your application.
If you have been posted, we will ask the schools you apply for if they wish to offer you a place, even if they are full. You can apply using a unit postal address, forces address or private address in some cases.
If no school can offer a place, we will find you one at the closest to your new address with a space.
Get in touch with the admissions team if you need more information.
All European Economic Area (EEA) and Swiss national children have the right to enter the country to access a school.
If you hold a General, Business, or Family Visitor visa to the UK, your child cannot study at an academy, local authority-funded school or further education college.
If you would like your child to study in the UK, your child must hold a Tier 4 visa to allow them to study at an independent school.
Your child must hold the correct entry visa before you make an application for a school place.
School offer dates
If we receive your application on time, you will be able to collect your offer on:
- primary schools – 19 April 2022
- secondary schools – 1 March 2022
If you apply by paper form, we will post your offer on the same dates. We are unable to give out details over the phone.
If your application is late, we will process it after the following dates:
- primary schools – 30 May 2022 then send you a letter
- secondary schools – 4 April 2022 then send you a letter